Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! This will probably be my last recipe of 2019 and it has nothing to do with the holidays, but it has everything to do with a huge milestone that’s coming up in my life — and that is my wedding. This is the final episode in my wedding cake flavour series and it has definitely been a great one. I still have yet to announce the final flavour combinations that I will actually use, but that’s mostly because I still need to figure it out and make a decision. In the meantime, here is the recipe for these tropical, tart, and fruity cupcakes.
These cupcakes consist of a mango cake, created by using a homemade mango puree, filled with a passionfruit curd, and topped with mango buttercream (also using our homemade mango puree). This cupcake is definitely a flavour that requires the most preparation in advance because it uses a homemade mango puree, and passionfruit curd created from scratch, and they have to be made in advance before the actual cake is created.
Here is the link to the full wedding cake flavour playlist, and feel free to watch the video tutorial for this recipe below. Here is the recipe:
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
220g (2 cups) flour
250g (1-1/4 cup) sugar
8g (2 tsp) baking powder
2g (1/2 tsp) salt
100g (1/2 cup) oil
30g (2 tbsp) pure mango juice
450g (2 cups) mango puree*
*I used 2 large mangoes + 150g (1/2 cup) mango juice, boiled together until the mango is tender, then blended, and cooked again to concentrate the puree, let cool before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Line a 12 cavity cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift and whisk the dry ingredients together, so the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, stir together the eggs, oil, mango juice, and mango puree.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk just until it is fully combined.
- Scoop into the lined cupcake tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
3 egg yolks
85mL (1/3 cup) passionfruit juice
100g (1/2 cup) sugar
15g (1 tbsp) butter
- In a medium heatproof mixing bowl, stir together the egg yolks, passionfruit juice, and sugar over a small saucepan of simmering water (this is called a water bath). Stir constantly until the yolks has thickened or until you can run a finger through the surface of a spatula and the curd holds the streak. About 7-10 min.
- Take the bowl off heat, and stir in the butter until fully combined.
- Strain the curd through a fine mesh sieve to remove any cooked egg bits, and place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Cool completely before using.