Are you smack in the middle of winter, surrounded by snow, and feeling a little crabby from the 45 min of sunshine available during the day? Me too. Luckily I get to think ahead and plan for my summer wedding. I will admit that thinking about bright and summery cupcake flavours really brightens up my mood. I ultimately came across the flavour combination of raspberry lemon, which I find to be a delicious classic. When I was in pastry school I remember actually making my “wedding cake” project raspberry lemon flavoured, and it sold pretty much everyone — even a lemon-curd hater like me.
This combination seems to be really promising so far. It’s a crowd-pleaser, it’s summery, it’s light and delicious, and the lemon curd is a perfect excuse to use up left over egg yolks from all the buttercream. The cake is nice and tangy from the addition of lemon zest, and all the flavours and textures compliment each other so well — it’s truly a winner.
I’ve decided I’m going to do one more wedding cake taste test and then decide from there, so stay tuned for the wedding cake flavour reveal! In the mean time, please enjoy the videos on all the past flavours, which is available on a playlist on my Youtube page @ ally bakes. Here is the recipe and video tutorial below!
Raspberry Lemon Cupcakes
This makes 12 cupcakes.
220g (1-3/4 cup) flour
250g (1-1/4 cup sugar)
8g (2 tsp) baking soda
2g (1/4 tsp) salt
zest from 2 medium lemons
160g (2/3 cup) milk
144g (2/3 cup) oil
5g (1 tsp) lemon juice
123g (1 cup) fresh raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C.
- Line your cupcake tins and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and the zest from the lemons.
- In a separate small bowl or jug, combine all the wet ingredients — the eggs, milk, oil, and lemon juice.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk just until combined.
- Scoop the batter into the lined tins, then add in about 2-3 raspberries per cupcake.
- Bake for 17-20 min or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Fill with lemon curd, and pipe with Italian meringue buttercream mixed with a few tablespoons of raspberry jam (to taste), and serve!