A classic cake recipe suitable for any event. I used this cake for my succulent + cacti cake tutorial, paired up with my italian meringue buttercream. Feel free to check it out below!
Lemon Cake Recipe
This recipe makes 1 x 5″ cake
113g (1/2 cup) soft butter
250g (1-1/4 cup) sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1g (1/2 tsp) lemon extract
5g (1 tsp) vanilla extract
167g (1-1/3 cup) all purpose flour
3g (1/2 tsp) baking powder
3g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
3g (1/2 tsp) salt
125g (1/2 cup) buttermilk (or 120g milk + 5g lemon juice)
- Grease and line two 5″ circle pans and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a medium mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, mixing until fully incorporated, pale and fluffy. Stir in the extracts.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, sift and whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, mix until most of the flour has absorbed the butter mixture, add in all the wet ingredients and stir until mostly combined, then add in the rest of the dry ingredients and stir until it is just combined.
- Divide between the two pans, and bake for 35-40 min or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before assembling your cake.
This recipe makes about 1/2 cup lemon curd and is perfect for filling a 5″ lemon cake
2 egg yolks
40mL (3 tbsp) or juice of about 1 lemon
67g (1/3 cup) sugar
45g (3 tbsp) butter
- In a small saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together. Slowly stir in the lemon juice until fully combined.
- Place over low-medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula until thickened. About 5-10 minutes. Take off heat and add in the butter, stirring until fully combined.
- Push through a sieve to remove any lumps, place a heatproof bowl and add plastic wrap onto the surface of the curd to avoid a skin forming when cooling.