If you’re familiar with Filipino culture, then you know that pandesal is a common sweet and fluffy bread roll from the Philippines. It’s similar to a milk bun and delicious with everything from peanut butter, to cheese, to chicken salad sandwiches. Ever since I decided to recipe test and make this, my family has been asking me to make it non-stop. These bread buns are super easy and require only a few ingredients, but the end result is a large pan of 24 fluffy, golden chewy bread buns, like pillows of heaven.
Here is the recipe and video tutorial for these delicious bread buns.
This recipe makes 24 buns.
625g (5 cups) all-purpose or bread flour
75g (1/3 cup) sugar, divided into two
6g (2 tsp) instant yeast
4g (1 tsp) salt
2 large eggs
305g (1-1/4 cups) warm milk
85g (1/3 cup) cold butter
50g (1/2 cup) bread crumbs for dredging
- Line a 13×18″ pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a dough hook attached, mix the flour, instant yeast, half the sugar, and salt. Add the eggs and milk, and stir on low speed for about 5 minutes or until the dough comes together.
- Bring the speed to medium/second speed, and mix for another 8-10 minutes, or until the sides of the bowl are clean and the dough can be stretched thin.
- Add the butter and the rest of the sugar and let it mix for another 5-10 min or until the dough is fully combined and smooth.
- Place the dough into a bowl dusted with flour, cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel and let it rise at room temperature for 1 hour or until double in size.
- Scrape the dough onto a clean work surface dusted with flour, and flatten the air out. Divide it into 50g portions or cut it into 24 equal parts.
- Roll and tuck the dough until it forms a smooth ball, and roll it onto the table to seal the seams.
- Dredge in bread crumbs and place on the lined baking tray.
- Place the tray into a warm turned-off oven with a tray of hot water in the rack below to proof the dough balls for 1 hour to 1.5 hours or until you can poke the dough and the indent doesn’t spring back up right away.
- Take everything out of the oven and preheat to 350F/180C. Bake the buns for 20-25 min or until golden brown on top and on the bottom.
- Take out of the oven and cool before enjoying.
Here is the video tutorial below!