A delicious super easy, people-pleasing cake. Requires no icings and no buttercream, making this an effortless cake. It can be made dairy-free with a simple swap of almond milk instead of regular milk, and will still come out super fluffy and luscious. This cake is officially my new go-to cake. I plan on bringing this to every social event I get invited to as soon as the pandemic is over. Scroll down for the recipe and video tutorial.
If I’m being honest, even with the weather getting warmer, and the days getting longer, I am only feeling more tired and heavy. It has been so long since I’ve seen my fiancé and friends that I truly feel like I am losing my mind. Baking seems to be the only thing taking my mind off everything and keeping me occupied, but because I have such low energy these days, I don’t quite feel like baking a 3 tier cake or a whole dessert table to keep myself occupied. Everyone’s got to know their limits. I definitely know mine at the moment. I wanted to bake something simple, delicious, and easy, so when my sister kept randomly asking me about olive oil cake because Kylie Jenner posted about it and made people rage on the internet for cutting her cake weird, I took it as a sign from above that this was going to be my dessert of the week. It screams simple, elegant, effortless, and scrumptious.
Anyways — life goes on as fast as this olive oil cake will disappear. So might as well try to enjoy every minute (or every bite). Here is the recipe.
Olive Oil Cake
163g (1-1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
150g (3/4 cup) sugar
54g (2/3 cup) almond flour
4g (1 tsp) baking soda
2g (1/2 tsp) baking powder
3g (1/2 tsp) salt
155g (3/4 cup) olive oil
22g (2 tbsp) amaretto
22g (2 tbsp) lemon juice
4g (1 tsp) vanilla extract
4g (1 tsp) almond extract
77g (1/3 cup) milk
Zest from 1 lemon
- Grease and line a 8″x3″ round pan with olive oil and parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
- In a medium to large mixing bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, sugar, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt. Add the zest.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients such as olive oil, amaretto, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
- Whisk together from the centre outwards to avoid lumps until just combined. Fold with a spatula to ensure all ingredients have been incorporated.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan, and spread it out evenly.
- Place into the middle of the oven, and bake for 35 min or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool for about 25-30 min before running a knife along the edge to loosen, and turning it over onto a cake plate.
- Dust with icing sugar and garnish however you like.
- Serve immediately, and keep at room temperature.