Happy Monday everyone! I’ve been finding that I seem to love things in waves, making me crazy obsessed about one thing, then forgetting about it altogether, then finding love with it again. In case you haven’t realized, I’m talking about my love for peanut butter. It’s something that I grew up with, I ate it for breakfast almost everyday. There was a point in time where I stopped eating it because of school bans on peanut butter, and other spreads such as Nutella taking over my cabinet. As I get older, however, I find that I pay more attention to ingredient lists and nutritional values, and after realizing how many other oils, sugars, and stabilizers they put in spreads, I’ve gravitated back towards pure peanut butter.
It’s creamy, delicious, nutty, and smooth. Perfect with some tart and sweet berry jam. After eating some toast, I was inspired to make peanut butter and jam cupcakes. If you haven’t been following along on my wedding cake journey, I’ve been constantly brainstorming for flavour ideas. I’ve done milk tea, coffee chocolate, matcha black sesame, and now pb & j. I plan to hopefully get my flavour choices all figured out by January so that in the new year I’ll be able to get started on a new planning phase for the cakes. Hopefully I’ll be able to bang out a design by late winter/early spring and be on track for the summer wedding.
These cupcakes are peanut butter cakes, filled with peanut butter, homemade berry jam, and topped with berry buttercream, and garnished with toast crumbs and corners. This whole cupcake is very breakfasty — perfect with a hot cup of coffee. The flavours are a classic, and there’s no way it won’t please (unless you have a peanut allergy).
Here is the recipe
PB & J Cupcakes
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
For the peanut butter cakes:
220g (1-3/4 cup) flour
250g (1-1/4 cup) sugar
8g (2 tsp) baking powder
2g (1/2 tsp) salt
60g (1/4 cup) peanut butter
160g (2/3 cup) milk
80g (1/3 cup) canola oil, or any neutral oil
10g (2 tsp) vanilla extract
For the berry jam:
100g (2/3 cup) fresh halved strawberries
200g (2 cups) frozen or fresh blueberries
30g (2 tbsp) sugar
10g (2 tsp) lemon juice
For the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Line your cupcake tin.
- Sift and whisk the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the wet ingredients to combine, then pour it into the centre of your dry ingredients.
- Whisk until just combined.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the lined cupcake tin, filling each cup about 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20 min or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcake comes out clean. Let it cool.
For the berry jam:
- Place everything into a small saucepan, over medium heat. Let the berries stew down until all the juices have released — about 10 min.
- Using a hand blender or blender, blitz the berries until mostly smooth. It’s okay to have a few berry chunks left over.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until thickened slightly. About 5 min.
- Pour into a bowl with plastic wrap directly on the surface to cool without forming a skin.
Add a few teaspoons of berry jam to Italian meringue buttercream.
To watch how to assemble the cupcakes feel free to watch the video tutorial below!
One thought on “PB&J Cupcake Recipe”
I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to blogroll.