Bonjour mes amis! Hello my friends! I’ve been finding myself going through so many changes in my life, which started out with job hunting, getting interviewed at multiple places, and then turning down job offers because everything changed and I’ve decided to move! So many things have happened in such a short amount of time that I find myself a little anxious, a little lost, but very excited. In this whirlwind of emotions, I find comfort in familiar flavours and sweet treats (of course). I’ve been stress-baking and stress-eating desserts, and somehow created a cupcake that was similar to a classic crêpe full of bananas, strawberries, Nutella, and whipped cream.
When I was in high school, I spent about 50% of my time at my best friend’s place, and anytime we had the free time and the right ingredients, we would end up making crepes. We almost always topped it with Nutella, strawberries, and bananas, then we added whipped cream if we got our hands on it. However, time passed, we grew apart for a little while, and for many years we didn’t even talk. Fast forward to present day and we are reunited! Getting engaged really makes you realize how much you want to spend special moments with special people, and as soon as my best friend and I started talking again it was as if nothing had ever changed.
Anyways, when I did my first test run on these cupcakes, she was one of the few people to try it, and she was obsessed, so I’ve decided to recreate them (just in time for our double date dinner), and post up the tutorial and recipe in case you would like to try it out as well. These cupcakes are simple and delicious — simply delicious.
In total, I used about 76g (4 tbsps) of nutella for the cupcake centres, and 220g (1 cup) whipping cream for the piping details.
Here are the recipes:
This recipe makes about 12 large cupcakes.
180g (1-1/2 cup) flour
200g (1 cup) brown sugar
6g (2 tsp) baking powder
2g salt (1/2 tsp)
150g-200g or 2 medium bananas, ripe
125g (1/2 cup) milk
112g (1/2 cup) canola oil
5g (1 tsp) vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Line a 12 cavity cupcake tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift and whisk the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt all together.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mash the bananas together until it’s a paste. Add in the milk, oil, vanilla, and eggs.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, and add in the banana mixture. Whisk from the centre outwards just until the batter is fully combined.
- Portion out into the lined cupcake tins, bake for 20 min at 180C/350F.
- When a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes come out clean, they’re done. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature before adding ingredients/components.
400g (about 3 cups) frozen or fresh whole strawberries
66g (1/3 cup) sugar
7g (1 tbsp) granulated gelatin
125g (1/2 cup) water, divided
5g (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- Take one half of the water, and sprinkle the gelatin over. Set it aside and allow it to bloom (absorb the water).
- In a medium saucepan, add the strawberries, sugar, remaining water, and vanilla extract. Place over medium heat and cook until the strawberries are tender and cooked through, about 5 min.
- Take off heat, and stir in the bloomed gelatin. Divide between a 2x 8 cavity semi-sphere silicone moulds.
- Place in the freezer until completely set, about 2 hours. Enjoy!
One thought on “Crêpe Inspired Cupcake Recipe”
Pingback: How to Make the Best Cupcakes You'll Ever Eat | Recipe Idea